5 Social Media Mistakes to Avoid
Getting into social media is easier than ever with the numerous available networks. What people sometime miss, is the basics however. The basics will help you showcase your skills, personality and build your network. So, let's get started:
1. Failing to use a photo or avatar for your profile - Best practice suggests that you use a photo that will enable someone to recognize you. Failing to use a photo or using the default image provided, will result in people not following you.
|Contestants at the recent Dreamforce being social! Photo courtesy of me!|
2. Not completing your bio - Remember we are in a social environment. People want to know who you are. You want to know who people are. Showcase your expertise and your personality by completing your bio. Just be sure to remember your audience and write for that audience.
3. Having too many networks - You want to be out there so you sign up for three maybe four different networks. As it turns out, it is a lot more work than you thought. As a result, you are really only maintaining two. Take it slow. Start with one, then add another. If that isn't enough add another, but wait before adding any more. Make sure that you understand the volume of work that it takes to manage your profiles. Rather than add another, you might decide that an existing network is not right for you. Opting out is better than not maintaining.
4. Not writing professionally - let's face it, people make assessments based on how we speak and how we write. Be sure to write professionally in your network.
5. Failing to be human. Social media is about being social. It is about being human - remember that you are human. You make mistakes and it is ok as long as you learn from those mistakes. Share what you learn with others.
These are five of the most common social media mistakes. Check back next time as I cover more social media mistakes to avoid. If you have some that you would to discuss, please chime in.